Road upgrade works on Boucher Ave and surrounding streets in Te Puke will resume later this month, marking the final stage of a major infrastructure upgrade project.
A community information session will be held tomorrow, August 15, from 2pm-4pm at the Te Puke Fire Station, where people can find out more, ask questions and meet the project team before works resume on August 31.
In a statement, Western Bay of Plenty District Council said the project work would involve strengthening underground water and stormwater infrastructure and rebuilding the road to support the community’s future needs.
Tomorrow’s information session would start with a short presentation from the council’s contractor, Fulton Hogan, followed by time for residents to ask questions and chat with the project team.
The council said works were scheduled to resume after a planned pause in March, to allow safer movement of large orchard vehicles during the kiwifruit harvest season.
Stormwater and watermain pipe upgrades had been completed, and road reconstruction was under way prior to works pausing in March, the council said.
When work restarts, Fulton Hogan would continue with the road reconstruction. Works were expected to take about six months to complete, ahead of the next kiwifruit harvest season in March 2027, the council said.
Council senior transportation project engineer Jamie Minchington said the area was a key route in Te Puke, used frequently by residents, students and families, emergency services, the kiwifruit industry and others in the community.
“… It’s critical we ensure the underground infrastructure and road itself it is up to scratch to meet the demands of a growing community,” Minchington said.
“Once the upgrades are complete, the community will benefit directly from a new road that is safer, more durable and better suited to everyday traffic and heavy vehicle movements.”
The works would involve sections of Boucher Ave and No 2 Rd being excavated and rebuilt in stages, new chipseal laid and road markings applied. Some minor remedial works would take place on Cameron Rd, Clydesburn Ave and Randell Place.
Detour routes would be in place at times along Cameron Rd, Clydesburn Ave, Hookey Drive, Dudley Vercoe Drive, Tynan St, Glen Terrace and Moehau St, Minchington said.
“During the project, people will experience road closures and detours; single-lane stop/go traffic management; delays on Boucher Ave, particularly during peak periods; temporary driveway closures; and periods of noise and vibration,” he said.
“We’re advising the community to please plan ahead and allow extra travel time while the work is ongoing.”
Minchington said the council acknowledged the project had taken longer than originally planned and recognised that roadworks were disruptive.
“… The team will work to minimise disruption as much as is reasonably possible, and we’ll make sure residents, businesses, and schools are kept updated as the works progress,” he said.
The community information session tomorrow, August 15, from 2pm-4pm is at the Te Puke Fire Station. Parking would be available behind the station or on Gilmore St, however, vehicle owners must keep the front of the station clear for emergency vehicles.
To follow the project’s progress, visit: http://yourplace.westernbay.govt.nz/boucher-ave

